For those of us who love meticulous lawns, we all agree that mowing the lawn is hardly enough. Edges, driveways, and other hard-to-reach places need special equipment to take care of the stray grass and shrubs. This is where string trimmers come in.
String trimmer mowers, also known as weed eaters, weed whackers, strimmers, or weed whips, use a nylon monofilament line to trim shrubs and stubborn weeds.
String trimmer reviews place walk-behind string trimmers at the top of the preferred string mowers. As opposed to the hand-held weed whackers, walk-behind weed eaters allow work much like lawn mowers. You walk behind the weed trimmer as opposed to the popular hand-held versions.
Although people prefer gas-powered string trimmers for their power, electric weed trimmers can also do a good job. If you have a small yard, you can go for a cordless weed trimmer. The best cordless string trimmers can work on a quarter acre from a single charge.
Seeing that you are in the market for walk-behind string trimmers, we want to make the purchase decision easy for you.We have compiled a list of the top rated and best-selling walk-behind trimmer lawn mowers of 2018. Check it out.
TOP RATED WALK-BEHIND STRING TRIMMER LAWN MOWERS REVIEW
|Remington 22-Inch Trimmer Lawn Mower|
|Fields Edge M220 Walk-Behind String Mower |
with 173cc 4-Cycle Viper Engine
|Cub Cadet 22 in. 159 cc Gas Walk-Behind |
|Swisher STS67522BS 6.75 GT 22-Inch |
|Husqvarna 961730006 HU625HWT Hi-Wheel |
Trimmer Mower, 22″/163cc
|Southland Outdoor Power Equipment |
SWFT15022 150cc Field Trimmer
|Dirty Hand Tools 101085, 22″ |
Walk Behind High Wheel String Trimmer,
149cc Kohler XT675 Engine
|Fields Edge M200 String Mower – |
173cc 4-Cycle Engine, 5 Year Warranty
|Generac 22-Inch 163cc Gas Powered Trimmer Mower – |
50 State/CSA Compliant
|Poulan Pro 961720015 190 cc |
High Wheel Lawn Trimmer Mower, 22″
1. Remington 22-Inch Trimmer Lawn Mower
The Remington 22-inch trimmer lawn mower is a compact powerful trimmer with a 159cc 4-cycle OHV engine. It has a 22-inch cutting diameter that cuts through the thickest weeds and shrubs.
The off-set head design makes it possible to squeeze and fit into tight and hard-to-reach places obliterating weeds and grass.Gas trimmer reviews place this trimmer mower at the top of the easiest mowers to use.
The handle is foldable for easy carrying and storing. The 22-inch high wheels can take on any size of job. You will need a standard 155 diameter trimmer line to work with this weed whacker.
- 22-inch high wheel mower is not intimidated by rough terrain
- Easy one-pull start
- Uses 155 diameter trimmer line which is tough and durable
- Foldable handle for easy storage.
- Works better on level terrain than rough terrain, cannot handle more than 15-degree slope
- Low quality plastic body
2. Fields Edge M220 Walk-Behind String Mower with 173cc 4-Cycle Viper Engine
The Fields Edge M220 Walk-Behind String mower is one of the few walk-behind strimmers that come fully assembled.
It runs on a 173cc 4-cycle Viper engine which is powerful enough to tackle any trimming yard work.You can off-set the head to fit your desired angle. The Field Edge M220 is one of the only mowers that have this feature.
Changing the line and other Field Edge parts is easy peasy. The line is a good tough string that outlasts all the competition.
The handle can be adjusted to desired height and can be folded for easy storage.
- Easily replaceable string
- Head off-set capabilities that allow trimming on wall edges and other tricky areas
- Comes fully assembled
3. Cub Cadet 22 in. 159 cc Gas Walk-Behind String Trimmer
The Cub Cadet 22-inch deck gasoline powered walk-behind trimmer mower runs on a 159cc OHV engine. This compact gas strimmer has enough power to trim any type of grass and weeds no matter the location.
The engine is fitted with an Antichoke mechanism which means no priming before getting started. You can adjust height cutting settings from 1.75 inches to 4 inches.
It is also fitted with a debris shield on the deck to protect the interior from stray debris which goes a long way in extending the lifespan of this weed eater.
- It has the best trimmer line at 0.155 inches
- Easy assemble
- Head off-set feature which allows you to cut against walls and fences.
4. Swisher STS67522BS 6.75 GT 22-Inch String Trimmer
The swisher 22-inch string trimmer is fitted with a 190 cc Briggs and Stratton engine. It boasts a 6.75 gross torque with a 22-inch cutting width.
Perhaps the most outstanding advantage of using this mower is the no-back-pain design. The ergonomic design allows you to detach the trimmer head from the handlebar so you can reach tricky areas.
The trimmer head has 4 string/8 cutting lines that can cut heights from 1.5-4 inches. You can off-set the head to customize the use.
- Powerful Briggs and Stratton engine
- Easy to maneuver for cutting against walls and fences thanks to the off-set head mechanism
- Body made of flimsy material
- Difficult to push
5. Husqvarna 961730006 HU625HWT Hi-Wheel Trimmer Mower, 22″/163cc
This Husqvarna string trimmer Hi-Wheel 22-inch trimmer mower runs on a Briggs and Stratton 163cc engine. It has 12-inch rear wheels which simplify movement and control.
The height-of-cut can be adjusted from 1.6-3 inches. Replacing the Husqvarna trimmer mower parts is easy including the string.
It comes with throttle control right at the handle and an adjustable handle to custom fit your height.
- Powerful engine
- Easy to start
- Simple assemble including replacing the string
- Body is made of weak material that gets damaged easily
- Design flaw causes debris to get stuck in the cutting head.
6. Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SWFT15022 150cc Field Trimmer
The Southland Outdoor Power trimmer is a formidable machine with 150cc engine. It features 5.75 torque with a 22-inch cutting width.
This trimmer starts with the recoil system. However, the start is optimized to require only one yank of the cord. It works with a 0.155-inch diameter line and 22-inch wheels.
The handle folds for easy storage and is also foam-filled for comfort and to reduce vibrations.
- Powerful engine
- Works well in rough terrain
- May not start as easily as advertised.
7. Dirty Hand Tools 101085, 22″ Walk Behind High Wheel String Trimmer, 149cc Kohler XT675 Engine
The Dirty Hand Tools walk-behind Hi-wheel brush trimmer is a compact powerful weed eater that runs on a 149cc Kohler XT675 engine. This gas weed trimmer can pretty much tackle any kind of overgrowth coming its way.
What makes this trimmer the best gas trimmer is the presence of both cutting strings and steel blades. It comes with a 0.157-inch diameter line and 4-inch tempered trimming blades.
You will enjoy the 14-inch cutting width balanced on 1.75-inch wheel girth.
- Powerful Kohler engine
- Blades can cut through small branches
- Does not have much of a lifespan
8. Fields Edge M200 String Mower – 173cc 4-Cycle Engine, 5 Year Warranty
The Field Edge trimmer is the best weed trimmer with a 173cc 4-cycle engine. String trimmer reviews place it at the top of the pack for having a powerful engine.
The handle folds for easy storage and the hi-wheel design is perfect for uneven terrain.
- 5-year warranty
- Easy to start
- Simple to replace the string
- Area under the cutting head is made of plastic that easily breaks.
9. Generac 22-Inch 163cc Gas Powered Trimmer Mower – 50 State/CSA Compliant
The Generac 22-inch gas string trimmer mower is a fan-favorite. It runs on a 163cc engine with a low-oil shut down mechanism. This is a safety feature that automatically shuts down the motor when you are running low on fuel. It protects the engine from damage.
Cord attachment is easy and tool-less with this model. Enjoy the 22-inch cutting width and the 12-inch wheels for easy control.
What makes this the best string trimmer is the cast aluminum front ware. Whereas other models are made of plastic, this metal plate offers durability.
You can adjust cutting heights from 1.5-3.5 inches
- Strong Briggs and Stratton engine
- 2 –year warranty
- Easy to change parts
10. Poulan Pro 961720015 190 cc High Wheel Lawn Trimmer Mower, 22″
The Poulan Pro weed trimmer is fitted with a 190cc Briggs and Stratton 625 series engine and a 22-inch cutting deck. It works with a 0.155 diameter string trimmer that can cut through any overgrowth.
Height-of-cut can be adjusted from 1.6-3.04 inches. It comes with hi-wheels design which makes navigating on rough terrain easy.
- Easy to start
- Powerful Briggs and Stratton engine
- Easy to restring
- Internal housing is made of plastic which easily breaks.
Finding the right weed trimmer is a matter of gauging what’s in the market against what you need. We are positive that you will find the right weed whacker from our list. Happy shopping!